Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Thing 22: ListenNJ and The Great Gatsby

When I first looked over this penultimate "thing" I decided that I would have the best chance of success if I attempted to complete the exercise at home. Last evening I made my way over to listennj.com and tooled around a bit. Early on I found the pdf instructions to be vague, and determined that I would do better by allowing my intuition to guide me.

On the home page, I located a link to download the OverDrive Media Console, followed the steps, and saw a shortcut appear on my desktop in no time at all. I then returned to the home page. In the search box I entered the title of a book I have been meaning to read for most of my life, "The Great Gatsby," and found a version narrated by the actor, Tim Robbins. I added it to my cart, proceeded to the check out, initiated the download process,...and promptly hit a brick wall of error messages. I restarted my computer and tried again, with the same results. I then realized that I also needed to download a security upgrade for Windows Media Player in order to get OverDrive to work. After a few clicks I was back to downloading Fitzgerald, and finally had success.

I listened to the first several minutes of the first chapter, and I can understand why this book is so highly acclaimed. I can't wait to hear/read the rest of it.

No comments: