Thursday, May 22, 2008

Thing 18: Web Apps

This is soooo cool. It's such a simple idea, I don't know why I didn't think of it myself. I am totally going to make use of Google Docs and/or Zoho when I go off to grad school in the fall. The scenario of leaving my term paper on the kitchen table has happened to me a little too often!

There are so many ways in which the Zoho apps could help us out at the LBI branch. "Planner" would be a great help to everyone at the branch to keep track of events, from programs to individuals' work schedules. At present, there is one master calendar for events and one master calendar for schedules. There are often times when the master copies need to be used by more than one person simultaneously; putting it online would mean that everyone who has access to a computer could have both calendars at their fingertips. "Show" could be used by presenters who wish to make their presentations available to the public before, during, or after a program. We could even use the "CRM" tool to keep track of our booksale inventory and sales.

Most of my duties don't include advanced computer applications such as those offered through Goolge Docs. In fact, most of my duties are very lo-tech (making displays, maintaining the vertical file, updating the sign board). However, the "Polls" and "Challenge" Zoho Apps have sparked my intrigue. Perhaps I could do a display on the presidential election, and use these tools to track the progress and compare the policy proposals of the two parties' nominees.

No comments: