Thursday, May 22, 2008

Thing 19: Web 2.0 Awards

First off, many thanks to Chris B. Pandora.com sounds totally awesome, and I plan to check it out as soon as I get home. I recently became aware of a similar website, Slacker.com, which lets you pick a genre or artist, and then listen to songs from or similar to that genre or artist in a continuous streaming feed. I have also heard good things about Last.fm, the runner-up to Pandora.

The category that caught my eye when I first visited upon the Web 2.0 Awards list was "Mapping." It came as no surprise to me that Google Maps was the first place winner. The second place winner, Wayfaring.com, was one I had not heard of previously. As I started poking around, I realized I had made a great find. Wayfaring.com uses technology similar to Google Maps, but offers tools to personalize maps (i.e., locations of your favorite restaurants, reliably good hotels, worthwhile attractions). You can also collaborate with other users and share your maps with the public. One user mapped all of the places he stopped on a cross-country road trip. Another user mapped all of the best restaurants in the Philadelphia area. I can hardly wait to dig in deeper.

Here's the link: www.wayfaring.com

No comments: