Saturday, May 17, 2008

Thing 12.5: WorldCat

When I visited WorldCat, the book title I searched was "Happier," by Tal Ben-Shahar. (This is a title that has been on my short list, and I hope to get my hands on a copy very soon.) I merely entered the word "happier" in the basic search box, and it showed up as the third result. According to WorldCat, this book is available right here in OCL, as well as the Atlantic City Public Library, the Atlantic County Public Library, and several other systems in the area. By clicking on the Details tab, I was able to see the chapter titles and some other information on the books format. When I clicked on the Subjects tab, it displayed that this book is listed under one subject: "Happiness."

To test the advanced search tool, I tried searching for one of my favorite albums, "Keep It Together," by Guster. Instead of entering all of the information I knew, I only entered the name of one song and the name of the band. The album came up as the first result.

In summation, WorldCat is awesome. I can totally see how this can help me at the circulation desk, not only when locating items, but when answering patrons' questions about items for which they have limited information. In some ways, I think this is a more effective tool than Horizon. I've already added it to my list of favorites.

No comments: