Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Thing 16: Wikis

I checked out Library Success, and immediately noticed one aspect I did not like. Because this wiki works off of a pre-established outline of topics, some of the links take you to sections that have not yet been written. As for the sections that are there, several are very interesting. For example, I opened a section on Gaming just out of curiosity, and found a number of entries discussing the successes certain library systems have had with the circulation of video games. Also, I found a section on Displays, which led me to a forum where librarians post pictures of their best displays. (Check it out here: http://www.webjunction.org/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=3964&start=0&tstart=0) This has already given me some ideas for displays of my own.

I also checked out the Ocean County Library's wikipedia article. If I had to guess, I would say that the items of the "trivia" section were most likely added by OCL staff. It's good to see that the matter of Sparks' color has been cleared up, though on our library cards he still appears to be closer to a shade of burgundy...

Wikis are one type of web tool with which I am quite familiar. I actually joined a wiki just prior to the start of this Web Challenge; it's a collaborative crime thriller set in the fictitious New Jersey city of Garden City. It never before crossed my mind that wikis could be beneficial to those of us who work in libraries, and after this exercise, I can see that they definitely are. I think that the staff wiki of the Albany County Public Library is a great idea. Even though Open C's fulfills many of functions of a wiki, a staff wiki of our own might improve staff communication. Is there any chance of that coming to fruition?

No comments: