Saturday, April 26, 2008

Thing 11: Library Thing

I just took a self-guided tour through this website, and I was really impressed. I'm not the type of person who will read just anything. This site strikes me as an excellent tool for finding out what books I will enjoy by reading through the reviews and lists of comparisons to the books I have already read.

On that note, I think I'm off to a good start. The first five books I have added to my own library are five of my all-time favorites. I was not surprised to find that "The Catcher in the Rye" had more members than any of the others, or that "The Painted Bird," by comparison a far more obscure novel, had far fewer than any of the others. This title did have some cool reviews, including a few that discussed some of the larger metaphors of the book (I won't say too much, so as not to ruin it for anyone who hasn't read it.). I was surpised to see how few members have added "The Giver" to their libraries (The book is excellent. Even if you have to read it three times before you appreciate it, like I did, it's worth it.)

http://www.librarything.com/catalog/ssimone07

No comments: