Saturday, April 26, 2008

Thing 10: Technology

I just read Stephen Abram's article, and I was surprised to see that I am actually already familiar with a number of the new technologies he mentions. I have personally used tagging, microblogging, personal homepages, and elearning. I was pleased to see that GIS (Geographic Information Systems/Science) made the list, as I have some experience using these computer applications, as well. Graphical displays of data have already shown themselves to be useful in a variety of ways (i.e., mapquest, GoogleEarth, etc.), and it is exciting to think how this may be used by libraries. Perhaps OCL would be interested in mapping the locations of other library systems, the locations of publishers, population or demographic statistics for Ocean County, or book stores that are in the area.

Also, when reading I was glad to have prior knowledge about things like RSS and podcasts. Thanks, Web Challenge!

No comments: